We all know by now that we should be eating at least five servings of fruits and vegetables each day. Some people even recommend eating more, though it is not always possible.
Often it is just not easy to get the right proportion your body needs.
We are constantly tempted to snack on junk food. Most family members, especially children, would much rather scoff down a bag of chips or rice instead of having an apple or a bowl of steamed broccoli.
So we’ll have to get sneaky.
Here are a few ideas to “sneak” some extra vegetables and fruits in your family’s diet.
1. Start your day with a breakfast smoothie. Indian breakfasts are great, but many are high calorie ones.
All you have to do is throw in some fruits, yogurt (or milk) and ice in a blender. Berries are great, or even a banana will do. You could add a scoop of oats for that healthy soluble fiber hit. You may even want to add a protein powder mix.
Just blend for a few seconds and you have the perfect breakfast ready to go. Its easy and super-healthy. For sweetness, choose honey instead of sugar.
2. Dried fruits and nuts are a great snack any time of the day. Just a fistful of almonds or walnuts is packed with protein and omega 3 fatty acids. Mix it up with raisins or dates and you pack an even bigger punch.
3. If your kids like sandwiches, you may want to consider adding a fruit or a vegetable within the bread slices, instead of cheese or jam. Even tried peanut butter and banana sandwiches? Quite awesome really.
4. Have a salad at dinner. Set out a variety of chopped vegetables like tomatoes, cucumber, onions and courgettes along with the lettuce. You may want to add some corn too. Use an olive oil dressing.
5. For a snack, choose a fresh fruit juice or vegetable juice made at home. Don't drink ones with added sugar in it. If you don't prefer juice, you could just choose the fruit instead.
Carrot sticks are a great snack. They are packed with vitamin A, and have no calories.
Incorporate a few of these ideas and you will have everyone in your family eating more fruits and vegetables in no time.
Always make sure you always have plenty of fresh fruits and veggies available and ready to snack on.